Friday, February 1, 2013

Engaging students through the technologies they use


Anyone who's forgotten their cell phone at home for the day can tell you how strange it feels to be disconnected from their device for a few hours. People often say it's like being without an appendage -- like a part of you is missing. Of course, it is not the phone itself that they miss so much, but rather the way that phone connects them to people and the world in which they live. We interact with each other through facebook, twitter, instagram, texting, facetime, and perhaps, even the occasional phone call. Most people I know only wear watches as fashion statements, because we even use our cell phones to tell time. 

These technological platforms are so well integrated into our daily routines that life without them is hardly imaginable. Is it surprising, then, that students would feel the same connection to technology? The statistics in the video below are from the early 2000's and show quite clearly, that even almost a decade ago, our students were well on their way to becoming "Digital Learners"!




As shown in the video, Pay Attention, our students, and even children under the age of 2, are using computers and looking at screens for several hours a day. They wouldn't do that if it weren't fun, interesting, or engaging for them. They would find other things to do. The level of interactivity provided by the technology we have today provides us with the opportunity to engage with communities and information in ways that can dramatically enhance education. However, there's no point in using technology in the classroom if we're not using it effectively. 




As this next video suggests, how we find information has changed drastically just in the past decade. Being able to share ideas and opinions with people you care about -- or even with people you don't know -- is a vital part of learning. Asking questions and having those questions acknowledged, or having to sort through a variety of answers, is a big part of using the internet for educational purposes, as shown in this video, The Networked Student:





The way that "21st Century Student"(in the video above) uses technology in his education is a logical extension of how the majority of people already use technology in their daily lives. We read an interesting news article and post it on facebook or twitter. Our friends and  the people in our communities respond with their opinions or post other articles that either add support or offer another perspective. People who have different backgrounds and experiences can engage with each other on topics that interest them. Reading the comments section on just about anything posted online will illustrate the importance of learning how to engage critically and thoughtfully with the viewpoints that others share in these forums. These are the kinds of skill for "real life" that education is supposed to provide! 


9 comments:

  1. Wow, I like your second video, it's amazing. I'd never think for these things before. It sounds like a blog history class. In fact, I also one of the members who enjoy using Itunes U, especially when I stay in China. Internet do provides me a lot of great learning resources.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bethany,

    I really enjoyed reading about these two videos. I feel the same way that the sharing of ideas and opinions with either strangers, or people you know, helps us learn and creates a community of learners, which of course is important to any learning environment. Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cartoon you posted. It is great because I think it speaks to the challenges we educators have in "teaching" critical thinking skills. Great post and great way of incorporating the videos, I didn't even think about actually posting the videos! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that you highlighted critical thinking in your post. That is one of the most important skills we can teach our students because although they now have access to a world of information, they need to know how to effectively filter that information through the lens of accuracy and/or bias.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes,even at first glance your blog is very visually appealing. Great job! I liked the videos on the page. I will have to experiment with that next time. I saw "Pay Attention" at our welcome day for superintendent's day in my district. It's an amazing technological world we are living in- amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your blog's layout, it looks clear and organized. And I'm quite familiar with what you mentioned like "cell phone addiction", I spend a lot of the leisure time on looking at facebook, instagram, facetime,etc. That's true, in our daily life, we can not avoid the social connection online with those those social media. and they can be the teaching platform as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoy reading your post. Your idea is great and the layout is very appealing. Talking about what you have mentioned about forgetting cell phones at home, I share the exact feelings. It is just like you are missing something that you can not even tell. It's quite strange, but I guess it is also the magic of internet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog is so fantastic! I do the same thing as you do in Facebook, and it provides so much fun in our social life. And reading the comments section is my favorite thing. Your idea that education should be "real life " is interesting. Hope you can figure out a way to carry it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I watched the networked students too.The most interesting tool I learned from this video is the use of iTunes. I used to listen to music or watch movies through iTunes. But I do not know that I can download university courses by iTunes for free. Now I know that even I do not go to these universities, I can have a chance to listen to world best professors' courses. That is really amazing.

    ReplyDelete